Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Councillor's Workload

Technically we're into Tuesday, but this is meant to be my Monday night post.

It's been a busy evening: first I was out canvassing on Arthur, Elizabeth, Huron, Morris and Harris. Thankfully I had two helpers with me tonight, Barbara and Emma. Around 7:30pm, Barbara and I headed over to the Italian Canadian Club for the second half of the mayoral debate. Barbara dropped me off at home around 9:30pm, and my husband said our 10-month old boy had been crying for the last half-hour, which is unusual for him nowadays. His top middle teeth are coming through, poor thing. It's half past midnight now, and he's finally asleep.

Which brings me to the question I was asked by a Ward resident tonight after the debate: how are you going to have time to be a Councillor? This is a question on the minds of many constituents, who are well aware of the stack of papers Councillors are expected to review before voting on motions at Council meetings. I've been told that it's a part-time job with a full-time workload.

As I've said before, I'm a proponent of sustainability. It would not be sustainable for me to commute to my day job, be a mother to a little one-year old boy, and be a competent Councillor. I'm fortunate that I can take a leave of absence from my current position in order to engage in political activities, and if I'm elected, that's exactly what I intend to do. So, you can count on me for returning calls, responding to emails, and diligently studying reports, planning applications and budget proposals. And my little boy can count on me for being around as his Maman. :)