Saturday, October 11, 2014

East End - Downtown End Divide?

Q: To me, our ward seems divided by the east enders (not fans of the British soap opera, of course) and The Ward. What challenges do you foresee representing a ward that has two very different areas?
- Kate, Ward 1 east end


As I said at the debate, I don't feel that there is a divide between the East End and The Ward: I'm not hearing any Ward residents expressing resentment towards East Enders, and I don't hear any resentment from East Enders towards The Ward (if anything, the frustration is directed at the South End). In fact, the East End and The Ward have many issues in common. Lack of meaningful consultation by the City is a problem throughout Ward 1. There are speeding issues on streets in both areas. The lack of commercial development is obviously a huge problem in the east end, but it's something that residents in The Ward are concerned about as well given the high number of shops that have closed over the years. Some issues are not cross-cutting (e.g. contaminated brownfields is a big issue in The Ward) but I believe I have the depth to represent all of Ward 1's neighbourhoods competently. I will also have the time to do so because if elected my only job will be that of Councillor.