Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Election Awareness On Campus

Today, the University of Guelph's Community Engagement and Global Citizenship office was launching an event on campus to promote election awareness. I hope it's off to a great start. 
I was asked to provide information on my candidacy, and this is how I responded. 

1. What's your vision for Guelph? 
My high-level vision for Guelph is a city where residents are proactively consulted on municipal issues. Too often, we find out about development projects or city initiatives after it is far too late for our comments to be duly considered. Through my extensive email network, I intend to seek meaningful input from my fellow Ward 1 residents on matters coming before Council.
My street-level vision for Guelph is a city where every neighbourhood has jobs, shops, natural areas, cafés and restaurants that people can walk to. Walkable neighbourhoods are not only healthier and easier on the pocket book; they also strengthen our sense of community.

2. Why should students vote for you?

I hope that students will vote for me because they feel an affinity with my strong environmental values and my outlook towards the future—not just the next four years.

3. What do you believe is the most important municipal issue for students? 

I think the most important municipal issue for students is rental housing. Now that the City proposal to licence rental properties has been abandoned, dealing with on-going problems such as absentee landlords and housing conditions remains unresolved. I encourage everyone to take an interest in this issue because Council’s future decisions on the matter will definitely affect students’ lives.