Thursday, October 16, 2014

Condominium owner pays twice for garbage removal

Q: What will you commit to for residents like me who are having to pay twice for basic services like garbage/recycling collection?
- Andrew, condo townhouse owner, Ward 1

A: I remember this issue being brought to my attention by condo residents when I first stood for Council in 2010, and concerns condominium complexes that must use private garbage removal services because their layout does not lend itself to pick-up by the municipal system. 
Ideally I would like recyclable and compostable items originating from condos to also be diverted from the garbage stream by municipal operations. However if the City vehicles cannot, operationally speaking, handle larger communal waste and recycling bins, thus making private collection the only option, the City needs to come up with the appropriate tax rebate for condo residents. My understanding is that this option is in effect in Kitchener, for example. If elected I will consult condo boards and the city's solid waste department in order to resolve this issue.