Thursday, October 9, 2014

Why I’m not picking sides


Tonight, the Guelph Chamber of Commerce is hosting a debate for the candidates vying to become the next mayor of Guelph. I thought today would be an opportune time to address one of the most popular questions I’m asked at the door: Which mayoral camp are you in?

I think I surprise a lot of people when I answer that I am an unaligned candidate. What does that mean? It means that I am not a member of either camp. I want to engage my fellow Ward 1 residents on municipal issues, and it would be inconsistent to tow the line of any mayoral candidate (or mayor) because this will not always serve the best interests of Ward 1 residents.

In David Letterman tradition, my top ten reasons for being unaligned are as follows:

10.       I will vote according to what we, as Ward 1 residents, feel is best for our ward, not according to how the mayor, whoever wins, thinks I should vote.
9.         I won’t ride on anyone’s coat tails of popularity, only to find myself indebted to them after the election to vote their way.
8.         I agree with some views of both front-runners.
7.         I disagree with some views of both front-runners.
6.         There are more than two candidates in the mayoral contest; I won’t succumb to the temptations of either-or thinking, or strategic voting.
5.         I will evaluate all candidates according to their platform, their record/experience and their character, rather than their name recognition.
4.         My background, both in terms of my education and my career, has equipped me with the necessary experience to be a competent Councillor. I am standing for Council on my own merits.
3.         I intend to work constructively with whoever gets in. But…
2.         … I won’t be anyone’s sidekick.
1.         I am my own person. I am socially progressive, fiscally prudent, and I love nature. My constituents can rest assured that I will stay true to who I am.